The root to it all – Muladhara
Muladhara – What is it?
The Root chakra.
The word Muladhara breaks down into two Sanskrit words: Mula meaning “root” and Adhara, which means “support” or “base.” Other names for this chakra are Base, First, Red, Coccygeal, Coccyx Chakra.
The Root chakra is the foundation of the chakra system at the base of the spine and groin area, this is the animal or base nature. It is the most physical of our chakras; Safety, security and stability are important keywords for a healthy base chakra as without these you do not have the feeling of belonging in your physical reality and tend to live in a world of illusions and poor feelings.
It is not only the color of blood that connects it to the Root Chakra but it is the vital source, keeping you alive, transporting nutrients and life force around your entire system. It is a core part of your survival and existence.
The lesson of this chakra is self-preservation; we have a right to be here.
Imbalances in the root chakra
If there is an imbalance in the root chakra you may experience anxiety disorders, fears, or nightmares. Physical imbalances may manifest as problems in the colon, with the bladder, or with lower back, leg, or feet issues. In men, prostate problems may occur. Eating disorders may also be a sign of a root chakra imbalance.
Emotional imbalances include feelings affecting our basic survival needs: loneliness, money, shelter, food and the ability to provide.
When this chakra is balanced, you feel supported, a sense of connection and safety to the physical world, and grounded.
Opening and healing your root chakra
- Going for a walk and getting outside is one of the best methods in opening your root chakra. Especially if you’re barefoot feel the ground beneath your feet, then sit down and feel mother nature pulling on the base of your spine towards the core of the earth and think red. The root chakra is related to the color red so envisioning a red flame glowing brightly at the base of your spine can help clear the root chakra. You can start with a meditation visualizing the red flame at the base of your tailbone and picture the light extending down to your legs and feet and grounding you to the earth.
- Eat Red Fruit, Vegetables and anything naturally red. As mentioned in my earlier post “wheel’s to the infinite you.” Eating naturally red food’s, which is the color of the root chakra will give your root chakra an instant boost.
- Wear Red Clothing. If you wear red this will also give your root chakra a boost, this is also the same if you sleep in red bedding or in a red-painted room etc
- Dance. Dancing is one of the best way to open and heal your root chakra. The spontaneous movements that emerge while dancing the base chakra tend to draw inspiration from tribal dancing, as found in the indigenous cultures of Africa, Australia and North America. These tribal dances are linked to the issues of the base, including our roots, survival and grounding.
- Do yoga. Many yoga postures are designed to cleanse this chakra. .
- Repeat positive affirmations. Repeating positive affirmations associated to the root chakra are very powerful methods in opening your root chakra. These include affirmations such as ” I am open to all possibilities.” ” I am grounded.” ” I am so grateful to be connected to mother nature and all life force.” “I am happy and grateful that today I am stable and secure.”
- Crystals. It is important to wear or carry crystals to heal the root chakra and keep up a positive energy flow.
Floating through life
When your Root chakra is closed too far, you may actually feel that your feet don’t seem to really touch the ground. The Root chakra is particularly about connecting to the ground. Expressions like “Be on firm ground” and “Getting on your feet again” convey a good connection and an open Root chakra. “To lose ground” and “Getting swept off your feet” convey a closed (or almost closed) Root chakra. The more we feel connection with the earth, the more we will feel purpose.
Balancing and opening the root/base chakra allows negative emotions to be released, regenerating confidence and your will to move forward in life. A healthy root/base chakra promotes feelings of security and encourages exploration to find your life’s purpose and achieve success. A balanced root chakra also generates the flow of energy to all other chakras.